Safety management systems combine different elements in the workplace that need attention to ensure your company provides a safe working environment. Our Gold Coast Safety Consultant team can assist you to get it right.
In Australia, businesses have the primary duty of care for workplace health and safety. Business owners or those who make decisions that affect the business must exercise due diligence and make sure the person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBUs) complies with health and safety obligations. There are so many aspects to creating and maintaining a safe working environment that sometimes it’s easy to get lost in it all.
What is a Safety Management System?
Safety management systems make health and safety an integral part of the business’s core operations. By designing, developing and implementing an effective safety management system, your business will have methods for managing reporting, responsibilities, planning and resourcing to create a safer workplace.
It is important a safety management system fits your workplace, this includes the size of your business, the type of work that you do and the workers that are working for you.
The elements of a safety management system include:
- management commitment and safety policy;
- training and supervision;
- risk management;
- incident and injury management;
- monitoring and auditing.
Remember, it is not enough to simply adopt a safety management system. You must also actively implement that system in your workplace. To do this, you must ensure that:
- workers comply with procedures and instructions;
- workers are appropriately trained; and
- workers are subject to ongoing supervision
Read more on what Comcare says about Safety Management Systems here.
Why does your business need one?
Safety management systems help businesses to continually improve their safety performance and compliance to meet health and safety legislation and standards. In doing so, businesses establish safer working environments that protect people at work by eliminating, or better managing, health and safety hazards.
Benefits of using our Safety Consultant team.
There are a number of benefits to having an effective safety management system. The benefits include:
- complying with Australian legislative requirements and standards;
- creating a safer work environment;
- lower absenteeism rates, such as sick days;
- fewer business disruptions, by keeping your production going;
- more motivated and productive workers, because they feel safe and valued;
- improved bottom line by lowering your compensation costs;
- demonstrating the business is meeting legal requirements and
- a more successful business by improving your reputation.
Business owners have a vital role to play when it comes to leading safety. When workers know their employer places high importance on workplace health and safety, they are more likely to be motivated to follow safety procedures and raise safety issues.
Contact us to arrange a free 30-minute Introductory Call with our Gold Coast Safety Consultant.
Call our Gold Coast Safety Consultants – 07 5655 4047. Servicing Gold Coast, Tweed Heads, Byron Bay, Brisbane, Darling Downs and the Granite Belt.