Avoid future disputes with clear and compliant employment contracts.
You may think that because employment contracts are not a legal requirement, you and your organisation are safe. You also may think that because you have an excellent relationship with an employee at the moment, that they would never raise a dispute against you. Both of those statements are far from the truth. As employment relations experts, we regularly meet frustrated business leaders who wish they had invested in robust employment contracts for each staff member when they had the chance.
Why are employment contracts recommended?
Written employment contracts (also known as employment agreements) set out both party’s rights and obligations so there is no ambiguity. This means that employee relations issues that arise during or post-employment can be resolved fairly and easily because the terms of the relationship are very clear. Employment contracts also set out an employee’s entitlements such as those covered by the National Employment Standards (the NES).
Handshake deals or verbal agreements can often result in a frustrating situation for employers when a dispute occurs. Disputes often lead to poor outcomes for the employer because it’s one person’s word against another’s.
It’s a fact that the Fair Work Act 2009 supports employee rights over the employer’s – so why would you leave it to chance? Written employment contracts are an absolute essential for any business that employs staff.
Our Freedom HR Membership includes a comprehensive range of employment contracts, so you are covered for every situation.
Gain peace of mind.
If you are unsure if your business is meeting its obligations in this regard, Industryus HR can conduct a review and let you know where you stand. This is a simple process where we identify gaps in employment documentation.
Whether your employees are covered by a Modern Award, are Award free, or are under an Enterprise Agreement, it is important to get it right to save your organisation from employee-related issues in the future. Engaging Industryus HR to supply your business with employment agreements helps you to:
- Save time by removing the administrative burden on your workday;
- Ensure your business is compliant with Fair Work law and Modern Awards;
- Safeguard your business from unexpected back payments to employees;
- Protect your business from disputes about pay, conditions and entitlements;
- Provide a positive first impression to new employees; and
- Create peace of mind, knowing your agreements are being handled by a Human Resources specialist.
Make things clearer with Position Descriptions (PDs)
Position Descriptions are an important element of new employment documentation as they set out responsibilities and other key aspects of a position such as reporting lines and key capabilities of the role. It’s recommended that all new employees receive a PD along with their employment contract.
PDs are a helpful tool for a range of workplace functions, including:
- For recruitment, as they give prospective employees an insight into the job being applied for. Providing a PD to a prospective employee also gives a professional and organised impression of the company to the candidate;
- For performance, as they provide an overview of the employee’s accountabilities such that it is clear what they are responsible for and who they are accountable to;
- For pay, as PDs provide a basis and comparison point for pay level grading and remuneration.
Developing PDs can be time-consuming but their benefits are many. By outsourcing these to Industryus HR, the job is done quickly and professionally, without pulling valuable resources from your teams into the project. Where organisations have a preferred template, we are able to work with it. Otherwise, we can suggest a suitable one for you.
Contact us to book in a free 30-minute Introductory Call, where an HR specialist can talk you through the available options for your workplace.